The Victorian Review of Quality Assurance in Victoria’s VET System is out.
The review is to make 19 key recommendations that seem likely to focus on providing more funding to TAFEs, while implementing tougher requirements and more regulation for training providers (RTOs) delivering government funded training.
The Victorian Labor government have made their agenda very clear. It is their focus to provide additional support and funding to Victorian TAFEs, not to RTOs. The $9m blitz is a direct attack on the private sector and the time for you to take action on ensuring your RTOs compliance is now. [emaillocker id=6291]
It is up to RTOs to identify and rectify non compliance’s and areas for improvement. The best practice approach is to undertake a detailed independent internal audit, with the review of a statistically valid sample of government funded student files. Identify any issues in your business processes, address the issues and maintain a record of your approach to continuously improving your organisation.
Minister Herbert is reportedly supporting all 19 key recommendations, which will see tougher requirements for RTOs, improved quality of VET teacher qualifications. Further immediate actions based on the Review’s recommendations include:
● Stricter entry requirements for the government-funded training system
● A consumer awareness campaign with information to help students chose the right course and provider
● Tighter restrictions on the approval of subcontracting, to where it is genuine, specialised and limited
● Greater transparency of poor quality training, such as problem providers that had a contract terminated for serious compliance issues
● A revamp of online tools for students, businesses and industry to get information and provide feedback
Minister Herbert is quoted as saying:
“This audit blitz is a crucial first-step in ensuring Victoria’s training system is the best it can be by removing providers that provide poor or fraudulent outcomes which do not meet industry standards.”
“After four years of the Liberals, we’re rescuing TAFEs and rebuilding our training system so young people get the skills they need for the jobs they want.”
You can read the ministers press release here>>>
You can review the review here >>>